The Los Angeles Global Health Conference (LAGHC) is recruiting student leaders for the 2017 conference planning team. The second annual conference will be a day-long symposium at UCLA Carnesale Commons on Saturday, January 28, 2017, featuring diverse global and public health speakers and discussion. This past year, the first annual LAGHC hosted 400+ members of the Los Angeles community. Keynote speakers last year included Dr. Christopher Elias, President of the Global Development Program at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in Seattle, and Dr. Rishi Manchanda, Chief Medical Director of The Wonderful Company in Los Angeles. Read more about LAGHC 2016 here.
Why join? The LAGHC student planning team presents a unique opportunity for both graduate and undergraduate students across Los Angeles to collaborate with an interdisciplinary team with the aim of planning and executing the conference. Members will develop leadership skills and gain exposure to global and public health by helping curate the conference theme and program. Moreover, members will have an opportunity to select and network with conference speakers and guests both during and outside of the conference. Finally, members will be part of building the community of current and future global health practitioners in the Los Angeles area.
Students in Los Angeles from all full-time programs are encouraged to apply. All conference planning team members will be mentored by former LAGHC directors (students at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA) as well as the UCLA Center for World Health faculty and staff.
Questions? Email student conference advisors Anthony Bui, Kara Faktor, and Sreetha Sidharthan at email@example.com.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in the Los Angeles area as a graduate or undergraduate student in Fall 2016
- Be available from 7AM - 8PM on Saturday, January 28, 2017 to attend the entirety of the conference, as well as preparation and clean up
- Participate in 1-2 hour planning team meetings 1-3 times / month from August 2016 through January 2017. Meetings may occur in-person at the Center for Health Sciences (CHS) or via phone and are tentatively planned for 8:30AM-9:50AM on Tuesdays.
- Carry out individual activities and objectives as designated by your committee (2-6 hours/week)
- Applicants for Conference Co-Director: must be a DGSOM first-year medical student (incoming class of Fall 2016), and must agree to stay on as a mentor to the following year’s conference planning team
- Applicants for Committee Lead Chair: must be able to attend all meetings in person (therefore recommended to be a UCLA student)
- Past experience in conference or event planning and/or project management
- Interest and/or background in global public health
- Team-oriented, flexible, detail-oriented
- Strong communication skills
- Optional: Experience with website management, graphic design, and social media marketing
- Optional: Prior attendance at LAGHC or other global health conferences
LAGHC Planning Team
- Conference Co-Directors (2): Lead and oversee a team of 15+ graduate and undergraduate students during the entire process of planning and coordinating of conference, including curation of theme and program, recruitment of speakers, promotion of conference, ticketing and sales, and coordination of logistics (5-6 hours/week)
- Speakers Lead Chair (1): Lead team of 4 Co-Chairs in the recruitment of conference speakers and development of conference content including activities listed below; serve as liaison between Conference Co-Directors and Speaker Co-Chairs (3-5 hours/week)
- Speaker Co-Chair (4): Participate in content development of conference and directly lead recruitment of speakers for plenary (keynote), breakout, debate, student speaker, and panel sessions (1-4 hours/week)
- Public Relations Lead Chair (1): Lead team of 4 Co-Chairs in general promotion and marketing for the conference including activities listed below; serve as liaison between Conference Co-Directors and Speaker Co-Chairs (3-5 hours/week)
- Public Relations Co-Chairs (4): Manage marketing and promotion strategy of the conference, including website, Facebook, Twitter, and general online presence; branding and graphic design; messaging to students and the broader Los Angeles communities; coordination of registration/conference ticket sales; design conference products (e.g., t-shirts and tote bags); professional vendor and student organization engagement; and photo submission contest (1-4 hours/week)
- Logistics Lead Chair (1): Lead team of 4 Co-Chairs in general event day planning including activities listed below; serve as liaison between Conference Co-Directors and Speaker Co-Chairs (3-5 hours/week)
- Logistics Co-Chairs (4): Oversee general event planning, from breakfast before the symposium to the networking/social hour after the symposium, including technology support, room coordination, and food and beverage management; train and supervise a team of Conference Day Coordinators to carry out event (1-4 hours/week)
LAGHC Conference Day Coordinators (individuals selected in November-December)
- Time commitment: conference coordination + orientation / preparation during the weeks leading up to the conference starting in January 2017
- Role: Work as a team to carry out the event, including organization of registration and coordination of various events throughout the conference. Will be supervised by Logistics Co-Chairs